Architecture

The Florence Inn

In 1821 the Florence Inn was opened. Many famous people visited the Florence Inn. William Rockefeller stayed at the Florence. People probably know him because of his money and the Rockefeller Center in New York City.

Mike Johnson, the mail expressman in the 1800’s, fought in the Civil War. He stayed in the Florence because the people invited him. Former President Franklin D. Roosevelt stayed in the Florence while going to his house in the country. Therefore, many people stayed in the Florence Inn.

#1

Now, in 1997, the Florence is gone. People knocked it down in 1955. It was open for 141 years. The people knocked it down because the landlord moved away and just left it. In 1997, business offices exist where the Inn once was. #2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Legend of the Cocktail

Legend has it that the Cocktail was founded in the Florence Inn. The founder was Betsy Flanagan. They base their suspicion on the following story. In the early 1700’s Betsy Flanagan owned and operated a tavern that stood where the Florence used to stand, one of the patrons of the tavern was an English Major who suspected that Betsy had been taking some of the cocks that he had bred as a hobby. (Betsy, being very Irish and very patriotic, was not above such a thing.) One evening, while the Major was toasting the health of "his sovereign majesty King George III," Betsy gathered a small group of friends into a back room. Into each glass she poured the best of her whiskey, and into each glass she placed a tail feather of one of the Major’s priceless birds. A Frenchman who was with the group pointed at the glasses and said, "Zaire, mes comrades, vive le cock-tail."

 

Historical Grove Street

A person was found guilty of trying to change a historic Tarrytown house. The house is on 8 Grove Street. Kennedy is the person that put an addition on his house without permission on Tuesday August 1,1989. The Judge told Kennedy that he would have some days to knock the addition down. The Judge said that people are allowed to put an addition, but they need permission. Kennedy didn’t obey. He had to pay a fine and spend ten days in jail. Kennedy had to pay the consequences.

People are still having disagreements with the Historical Society about old houses. They are having battles over whether they should change a one story house into many family apartments. 29 Grove Street is a Victorian house that is being made into apartments. Buildings that were houses in the 1800’s are now apartments. In the 1800’s the houses were different than they are today. (#4)

 

 

 

Changes in Buildings

Buildings have been altered in different ways. Two buildings in Tarrytown have changed in opposite ways. The First Baptist Church of Tarrytown changed when it was burned down. The outside was rebuilt the same, but the inside looked very different. St. Faith’s changed on the inside for what it was used for.

The rebuilding of the First Baptist Church began in 1990. It is still not finished today. The outside is finished, but the inside is not all the way done. There are no bathrooms, and there is no kitchen. The windows had people on them. Each window told a story. Now there is only one window telling a story, but there are no people on it.

St. Faith’s changed four times over the last 40 years. Now it is for business. It was for unwed mothers in 1971, abused children in 1973, and for teens in 1981. It became a business building in 1983. St. Faith’s was not changed on the outside or inside, but what it was used for did change. (#3)

 

 

 

What was the first building built? What is the oldest building standing?

The oldest building which also happens to be the oldest standing is The Old Mill. Built in the early 1680’s, the mill was and still is built in stone and wood. It was one room wide and is two stories high. The Manor was and still is filled with a beautiful collection of 17th and 18th century furniture, A 18th century herb kitchen, and garden. On the outside there is a working mill, mill pond, and 18th century barn.

The Old Dutch Church is the second oldest building . Built in the late 1690’s, this historical site is still standing in the Old Dutch Cemetery and is still used today. These two historical sites are also neighbors. They are both on Broadway and are directly next to the Headless Horsemen Bridge.

 

Produced by: Jessica, Arelis, Amberly, and Margaretann

Photos # 1, 2 & 3 taken from the Tarrytown Historical Society

Photo #4 taken from the Gannett Westchester Newspaper 1 Aug. 1989.

Applegate, Nora. "St.Faith’s Gives Unwed Mothers Counsel, Care," Tarrytown Daily News 10 Mar. 1971 sec: not known.

Baswell, David. The Florence Inn Report.

Dalman, Martin. "New Haven for Children" Tarrytown Daily News. 14 Sept. 1973
Sec Page 6:1.

Historical Hudson Valley: Philipsburg Manor http://www.hudsonvally,org/philip.htm

Hutchenson, Lucille. The Centennial History of North Tarrytown. Cambridge, Maryland. Western Publishing Co. 1974.

Moran, Marc. "Tarrytown Welcomes a New Family. Tarrytown Daily News 27 July 1981 sec.A:1.

Ruth, Mayer. "Crunch time takes historic twist" Gannet Westchester Newspapers Aug. 1989 sec:A3

Tagliaterri, Ed. " St. Faith’s may turn into offices." Gannet Westchester Newspaper 11 Dec. 1983, sec. 1+A4:2.